from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The legal dissolution of a marriage.
- A complete or radical severance of closely connected things.
See Synonyms at separate.
Divorce a separation of closely connected things. I will probably miss a lot of citations but here is a list of from the Bible of things that were separated or divorced as I find them recorded in the Bible.
2The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. (formless given up to form)
- And God saw that the light was good. Then he separated the light from the darkness. ( light from darkness)
- God called the light “day” and the darkness “night.” And evening passed and morning came, marking the first day. (Time started, separation of past from present and future.)
- Then God said, “Let the waters beneath the sky flow together into one place, so dry ground may appear.” And that is what happened. (land separated from water)
- to govern the day and night, and to separate the light from the darkness. (light darkness separated)
27So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. (God’s image to man from God. more in Ch.2)
- Then the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground. (man from earth)
- So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep. While the man slept, the Lord God took out one of the man’s ribs and closed up the opening. 2:21 Or took a part of the man’s side. (Woman separated from man)Ch. 3
4“You won’t die!” the serpent replied to the woman. 5“God knows that your eyes will be opened as soon as you eat it, and you will be like God, knowing both good and evil.” (deception and truth divisions)
- The woman was convinced. She saw that the tree was beautiful and its fruit looked delicious, and she wanted the wisdom it would give her. So she took some of the fruit and ate it. Then she gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it, too. (for a moment man separated from woman and woman alone from God. Then man and woman united and separated from God.)
- He replied, “I heard you walking in the garden, so I hid. I was afraid because I was naked.” (security separated and fear replaced)
- And to the man he said, “Since you listened to your wife and ate from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat, the ground is cursed because of you. All your life you will struggle to scratch a living from it. (God’s perfect provision separated from man and replaced with man fending for himself.)
- So the Lord God banished them from the Garden of Eden, and he sent Adam out to cultivate the ground from which he had been made. (Separation from home, the Garden of Eden.)
- After sending them out, the Lord God stationed mighty cherubim to the east of the Garden of Eden. And he placed a flaming sword that flashed back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life. (The price/cost is set for the reunification of God and Man. A foretelling of THE promised separation of the trinity of God to pay the price in a finished work.)
- One day Cain suggested to his brother, “Let’s go out into the fields.” And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother, Abel, and killed him. (First elder brother separation from love of family, and real love of our neighbor. Root of all sin and separation)
- Afterward the Lord asked Cain, “Where is your brother? Where is Abel?” “I don’t know,” Cain responded. “Am I my brother’s guardian?”(divorce from reality, self-made fantasy is getting stronger)
There is, of course, the first divorce.
“How you have fallen from heaven, O star of the morning, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the earth, You who have weakened the nations!
A divorce of irreconcilable differences between God and Satan. God being benevolent did not put down the rebellion. God allowed Lucifer to take any Angel who was willing to follow him down to do his deceiving work of deceiving and cheating people from redeeming their souls. This deception is a choice to have faith in God or not, and the use of God-ordained free will of each person. By the way, Satan will always think he can be God and defeat God, this will never ever go away. I feel this desire is part of the torment that Satan has shared with his followers.
Even on the cross, with Jesus right there in the thick of what was going on in real time. Only one of the criminals with whom Jesus was dying with, accepted the truth and entered celebration with God. The other died with hope in self and lies. God allowed the choice and it was sealed then recorded for all to see and choose.
Because of these many citations of divorce and separation presented in nature, mankind’s relationships with each other, and the relationship between God and man, divorce had to be a part of everyday life for everyone. You have to give up something to get something! You have to give up something especially when it is stolen or lost, which is another form of divorce. The point is, the world keeps going even though we give up things to give to our idols or the true and living God.
The point is, the world keeps going even though we give up things to give to our idols or the true and living God. There is deep core hope of reconciliation throughout all relationships known to mankind. Yet, God invites us to divorce this natural world to enter His supernatural world which is abundant and free to us. The Gospel is paid for in a priceless act of love by the begotten one of the Trinty.
If the concept of divorce was not a part of daily living our understanding would not be as great or deeply felt helping us to see the cost that was paid in reconciliation. Reconciliation is the stuff of life. Reconciliation is the stuff of hope. Reconciliation is the most expensive thing that we will ever come across whether it is given to us, or we give it to someone else. Reconciliation can only grow in a rich soil of forgiveness.
And contained within all reconciliation there is a loss. In some reconciliations is not worth the loss. But in the reconciliation given to us by God, there is never any indication that it is not worth the cost. In fact, because God packs down in unmeasured love toward us and blessings to do his work in our lives that he gave us, there is an indication that we are giving up near nothing for everything.Luke 9:24
New Living Translation
If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.
What important separations or divorces that I did not mention in the creation account, or in the years of Adam and Eve, the fall of Lucifer? I hope this is one of the first of several blogs on this particular subject. What you think, about these thoughts on divorce and separation?
I wish you a great day and may the joy of the Lord be a powerful part of your life.
Redeemed in Christ Jesus.